Recommendations for Action for the TCC Library Post Disaster
During a disaster (fire, tornado, intruder, etc.)
- Follow disaster procedures provided by campus police during an active emergency situation.
- If you are in a position of leadership during an active emergency, follow your directives from campus police.
- Professional employees and staff should watch for messages about campus closings and safety alerts through the TCC Emergency Alerts system.
- Contact your director or dean for immediate news from administration concerning work duties or campus relocation.
- It is recommended that staff keep a print or alternate copy of their director’s contact information in the event that the online library directory is offline.
- Deans and directors will delegate duties as appropriate for the situation.
- Delegated librarians and staff should maintain contact with campus police and share updates periodically at routine campus library meetings as needed.
Assessing collection damage and reestablishing services
- Deans and directors may need to work with campus police and administration to gain clearance for librarians to work with the physical collections if the library is in a disaster zone.
- Delegated librarians will determine the initial scope and damage of the collection, and assess priorities for restoration in the collection/ equipment.
- Library will perform an inventory if needed based on condition and damage to collection.
- Directors will delegate cleaning duties and collection development responsibilities.
- The eRources manager will coordinate with IT and vendors to restore access to online materials.