Skip to main content
Information Literacy Instruction
You're invited to schedule a library instruction session for any class you teach that will require students to conduct research or another information-seeking activity. Tips to ensure the best and most effective experience for students:
- Library Instruction is most effective when your students have an authentic need to use library resources.
- Make arrangements / schedule early in the semester, but time it so that it falls just as they're getting started on the assignment/project. You might even bring them after they've had a few days to try searching on their own.
- Provide the library with information about what the students will need to do - while most librarians will cover the same basics with every class, they will also want to show the resources that will be most helpful for the specific tasks students will need to complete.
Librarians require at least 48 hours advance notice, so that they can provide the best possible instruction for your class. (Some campus locations require more notice.) Please schedule your class visit on our website by clicking "Schedule Library Instruction."
Do you need a book that the TCC Library doesn't own?
Can't find the full text for an article in a database?
Check out our Interlibrary Loan page to find out how we can help.
- All faculty can place books, videos and other materials on "reserve" for use by students in a particular class.
- This can include items owned by the library, as well as departmental or personal copies.
- All reserve items are available to check out for up to two hours of use in the library only.
- To place an item owned by the library or a personal item on reserve, simply bring it to the information desk in your campus library and provide the following information: your name, course number and semester to be used.
- Adjunct faculty should check with their department office before putting an item owned by the department on reserve. (To avoid duplication.)
- Give the library staff two or three days to get it properly labeled and processed, and then you can send your students to access the item.
- Direct them to the library's information desk to check out an item on reserve. They will need to show a photo ID.
- It's helpful if they can provide the title of the item along with the course name, but library staff can look it up in our online Course Reserves catalog by course if necessary.
Electronic resources can also be placed on reserve for students. Librarians can provide assistance in placing links to articles, eBooks or other online resources within Blackboard. Contact your subject liaison (listed to the right) or a librarian on your campus for more information.
Metro Campus Library: 918.595.7172 | Northeast Campus Library: 918.595.7501 | Southeast Campus Library: 918.595.7701 | West Campus Library: 918.595.8010
email: Library Website Technical Help | TCC Acceptable Use Policy | MyTCC | © 2019 Tulsa Community College